General Ledger is the ultimate repository of all financial data. Payroll, Purchasing, Payment Processing, and the other financial applications all feed data into the General Ledger application. Monthly online financial activity reports, known as Level Reports, are generated from General Ledger data. End users of the application can look up account activity, create journal entries, and run reports.
You will need to apply for access if you will be responsible for any of the following:
- Monitoring departmental accounts
- Moving charges between accounts
- Entering Interdepartmental Charges (IDC's), i.e. charging other departments for goods or services you provide to them, e.g., food/beverages, copying/printing, or laboratory testing services
- Entering Cash Reports, i.e. reporting income to your department generated from the sale of goods or services, e.g., ticket sales to athletic events, fees for a continuing education program your department sponsors
- Running financial reports
Applying for Access
Complete the first two pages of the PRISM Department User Access form, and page 5 if applying for Cash Report Entry access. Normally, this form is completed with the assistance of a department business administrator.
General Ledger Responsibilities
Page 4 of the form instructions provides detailed descriptions of the General Ledger Responsibilities, and notes the entities to which the Responsibilities grant you access. Also, check whether you will need data entry or inquiry access for each Responsibility selected. The form will not be processed without an Authorized RC signature. Check with your department business administrator to determine your authorized RC administrator.
You will be sent an email from FIS Business Solutions when your access has been activated.
General Ledger Training
If you are new to the University, or new to working with departmental account numbers, you are advised to complete the online course entitled Financial Information Overview.
Frequently Asked Questions
When saving a Journal Entry that is not yet complete, make sure “1” is in the Control Total field at the Batch level to indicate the entry should not be posted. Remember to include the correct Control total when the entry is completed. If the Control Totals do not match the batch will not be posted.
Changing a period on an unposted batch becomes necessary if a previous period is still open (first three working days of each month), and a transaction must be applied to the previous period. To change the Period field on an unposted journal entry perform the following steps.
N > Journals > Enter
- Enter Batch Name
- Click the Find button
- Click the Review Batch button
- Click the Change Period button
- Enter the new Period
- Click the OK button
N > Inquiry > Account
- Enter Accounting Periods From and To (e.g. MAY-15 to JUN-15)
- Enter Account
- Click the Show Balances button
- Select the desired line
- Click the Journal Details button
- Select the desired Payable batch line
- Click the Drill Down button
- Click the View Transaction button to view invoicing, payment, and distribution details
If your journal entry contains multiple entities (02, 04, 05, etc.) the system will automatically add Intracompany Balancing Lines during the posting process to bring the entities into balance. You do not see the Intracompany lines the system adds because they do not hit departmental accounts, but the result of these lines being added is that the Control Total doubles. No action needs to be taken to modify these transactions.